September 30, 2022
March 20th, 2023
Category Software Testing
“Everybody can do testing, but only a tester does good testing.”— Melissa Eaden
No software is perfect and hence software and QA testing services are inevitable. Delivering a bug-free product and a seamless, effective application is what all customers look for, and reaching that goal is what software testers aim for.
QA testersare primarily responsible to ensure comprehensive testing and a defect-free application, through the implementation of modern-day QA testing tools. Becoming a successful QA tester is no child’s play, it is a highly responsible and tough task!
Implementing a defect-free and well-tested product has its own added advantage of gaining complete customer satisfaction and a huge loyalty quotient. And that is what a Quality Assurance tester is supposed to achieve.
Here is a detailed article on all facets of a QA tester, but prior to that, let us glance through what QA testing is and what a QA tester does.
What Is QA Testing?
Software testing solutions and QA testing servicesinclude a range of services like security testing, managed QA testing, software testing outsourcing, third-party software testing, software testing as a service, performance testing, automated testing, functional testing, and QA analysis.
What Does A QA Tester Do?
A QA tester is also known as aQA engineeror a software tester or a software test engineer. A QA tester is responsible for creating and implementing test plans for testing software, debugging code, and enhancing the usability of programs. QA testers work with the development team to stay in sync and offer completely functioning software.
They remove bugs, glitches, and other troubles that users can face. They execute different types of tests to ensure that the application meets the regulatory standards before giving it to the end users. They also generate a variety of reports that can help in understanding the problem areas and ensure the execution of debugging strategies to solve the problems.
Popular QA Testing Tools Used By A QA Tester
For a QA tester to successfully fulfill responsibilities and achieve success, QA testing tools are a must. These software testing tools catalyze testing automation, speed of delivery, and efficacy in results.
There are numerous QA testing tools that are accessible around the globe. Here are a few of the popular ones that are being leveraged by testers:
A popular open-source, testing framework that assists in writing tests and automating browsers to execute tests. Selenium IDE is an effective record and playback tool for the generation of test scripts.
Appium is a well-known QA testing tool that has an easy setup procedure and facilitates the usage of your own test practices, tools, and frameworks. It is open-source and possesses great community support.
LoadRunner is an efficient software testing tool that is utilized for testing applications and performance under load. It has the capacity of simulating multiple users with concurrence making use of application software along with performance analysis.
A QA testing tool for web-based test case management that handles both – manual and automated testing. Offers detailed insight into the testing results through reports and dashboards. Increases effectivity through notifications, to-do lists, etc.
A robust test management solution with Jira for effective planning and reporting. Facilitates reuse of tests with optimal visibility and data analytics. Empowers teams with CI/CD, and automated integration through inbuilt testing tools.
QA Tester Skills:
Here are the different QA tester skills that must be inculcated, including technical skills and soft skills:
- Experience in project management and QA approaches
- Familiarity with agile frameworks
- Engineering or Computer Science background degree
- Working knowledge of testing tools, programming languages
- Error documentation and debugging
- Test management software experience
- Mobile development experience
- Knowledge to design and write automation test scripts
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Written and oral communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Team working and critical thinking
- Professionalism with a team focus
- Interpersonal skills
- Capability for multitasking and priority setup
- Critical time and work management
- Understanding of customer requirements
QA Tester Responsibilities:
The bouquet of QA tester responsibilities includes the following activities, as a part of the roles and responsibilities that come along:
- Define testing objectives and the methodology to fulfill them
- Review, analyze system specifications, and test procedures
- Early testing of applications for early identification of errors
- See to it that the test strategy is aligned with the development requirements
- Report errors, document logs, and solve technical problems with the development team through bug tracking tools like Bugzilla, etc.
- Root cause analysis of errors and defects
- Executing debugging programs for fixation of defects and bugs
- Design and execute test scripts, and test cases, and evaluate results for manual and automated tests
- Carry out tests on source code and post-release testing
- Function seamlessly with cross-functional teams for enhanced quality
- Work with designers, developers, business analysts, and project managers to analyze business needs and estimate testing efforts
- Find out test data needs and extract necessary test data
- Carry out regression, functional, system, integration, smoke testing
- Monitor and measure performance with different tools
- Ensure security implementation to protect from malware attacks, cybercrime
- Measure and manage testing activities with test management tools
- Maintain test environments as per requirements
QA Tester Salary Structure:
Though the QA tester salary may vary from geography to geography and from time to time, the below figures give a general idea of how much it could be:
- Quality assurance testers make$74,140 per year on average, or $35.64 per hour, in the United States. Quality assurance testers on the lower end of that spectrum, the bottom 10% to be exact, make roughly $55,000 a year, while the top 10% make $99,000.
- The average Software QA Testerin the US makes $80,747. Software QA Testers make the most in Los Angeles at $86,318, averaging total compensation 7% greater than the US average.
- The QA Tester earnsan average £33,775in London, UK
- The average salary QA Tester in Australia is$111,734 per year or $57.30per hour. The entry-level range starts at $85,000 per year, while the experienced workers make up to $140,000 per year.
- The average QA salary in New Zealand is$52,650 per year or $27per hour.
- The average salary forentry-level quality assurance testerjobs is on average, $32,283 per year.
- In Canada, the average QA tester salary is$65,000 per year or $33.33per hour.
QA Tester Interview Questions
For an aspiring QA tester, what matters most is performing nicely in the interview. Here are a few important QA tester interview questions that can be of great help:
- What is the distinction between QA and software testing?
- What are the automation challenges that the SQA team faces while testing?
- What is data-driven testing?
- What does the test strategy involve?
- What are the standards of software testing?
- Talk about the different types of software testing
- What is a bug in software testing?
- What are the contents of test plans and test cases?
- What is end-to-end testing?
- Explain stress testing, load testing, and volume testing
- What is configuration management?
- What is a Test Metric in software testing and what information does it contain?
- List out the software quality practices through the software development cycle
- What is a test environment?
- Explain what your QA documents should include
- What should the Software QA document include?
- Explain black-box testing, white-box testing, and grey-box testing
- What is the difference between Quality Assurance, Quality Control, and Testing?
- How do you define a format for writing a good test case?
- Guess you find a bug in production; how would you make sure that the same bug is not created again?
- What is Verification and Validation in software testing?
- What is usability testing?
- Explain Bug life cycle or Defect life cycle
- What is coverage and what are the different types of coverage techniques?
- Should testing be done only after the build and execution phases are complete?
- On what basis you can arrive at an estimation for your project?
- Is Automation testing in agile methodology useful?
- Define bug leakage and bug release
- What is the rule of a “Test Driven Development”?
- What is a traceability matrix?
On A Final Note:
As independent testers, QA testers offer exhaustive software testing services with a committed and stringent approach, aiming toward perfection in quality. They follow organizational testing procedures and keep working towards the established testing goals by implementing cutting-edge QA testing tools.
The software testing services and QA testing services that the quality assurance testers offer ensure utmost quality at all steps of any project with almost zero post-delivery defects and nearly 100% customer satisfaction. It is inevitable to say that a QA tester is the foundation stone in building an accurate and quality-rich application.
Table of contents
- What Is QA Testing?
- What Does A QA Tester Do?
- QA Testing Tools
- QA Tester Skills
- QA Tester Responsibilities
- QA Tester Salary Structure
- QA Tester Interview Questions
- On A Final Note
Delivering Digital Outcomes To Accelerate Growth
SPEC INDIA, as your single stop IT partner has been successfully implementing a bouquet of diverse solutions and services all over the globe, proving its mettle as an ISO 9001:2015 certified IT solutions organization. With efficient project management practices, international standards to comply, flexible engagement models and superior infrastructure, SPEC INDIA is a customer’s delight. Our skilled technical resources are apt at putting thoughts in a perspective by offering value-added reads for all.
Delivering Digital Outcomes To Accelerate Growth
QA Tester salary in India ranges between ₹ 1.6 Lakhs to ₹ 7.1 Lakhs with an average annual salary of ₹ 4.0 Lakhs. Salary estimates are based on 4.3k latest salaries received from QA Testers.What is the salary of QA tester in India? ›
QA Tester salary in India ranges between ₹ 1.6 Lakhs to ₹ 7.1 Lakhs with an average annual salary of ₹ 4.0 Lakhs. Salary estimates are based on 4.3k latest salaries received from QA Testers.What are the roles and responsibilities of a QA tester? ›
A QA Tester is a professional who tests the functionality and usability of new or existing software before it goes live to ensure it is bug-free. They work closely with developers, providing them feedback on what needs improvement in order to produce top-quality programs that meet customer expectations.What skills do I need to be a QA tester? ›
- Experience in project management and QA approaches.
- Familiarity with agile frameworks.
- Engineering or Computer Science background degree.
- Working knowledge of testing tools, programming languages.
- Error documentation and debugging.
- Test management software experience.
- Mobile development experience.
Employees as Qa Tester earn an average of $138k, mostly ranging from $107k per year to $436k per year based on 4563 profiles. The top 10% of employees earn more than $210k per year.How much QA is paid in USA? ›
As of Aug 13, 2023, the average hourly pay for a Qa Tester in the United States is $37.99 an hour. While ZipRecruiter is seeing hourly wages as high as $60.34 and as low as $13.94, the majority of Qa Tester wages currently range between $24.04 (25th percentile) to $48.32 (75th percentile) across the United States.What is the salary of 10 year tester in India? ›
A mid-career Software Tester with 4-9 years of experience earns an average salary of ₹6.1 Lakhs per year, while an experienced Software Tester with 10-20 years of experience earns an average salary of ₹13.5 Lakhs per year.What are QA skills? ›
Quality assurance skills are a combination of hard and soft skills that professionals use on the job or to advance in their careers. QA skills comprise abilities that help professionals, such as test engineers, QA leads, QA testers and QA specialists in meeting quality standards.Is QA testing a good career? ›
The outlook for QA manual testers and other roles in software development and QA is strong. Employment in this area is projected to grow 25 percent from 2021 to 2031, much faster than the average for all occupations .Does QA tester require coding? ›
While coding skills can be beneficial for QA professionals, it is not a mandatory requirement for the role. QA professionals are responsible for test planning, test case design, test execution, defect management, and ensuring software quality.
The qualifications that you need to become a quality assurance tester (QA tester) with no experience include a computer-related degree, the ability to undergo training, and computer coding skills.How many types of QA testers are there? ›
QA testing exists to trial software and assess whether specific requirements and expectations are being met. Performing these tests is an integral part of the software development process. There are two types of QA testing: manual testing and automated testing.How do I prepare for a QA role? ›
- Research the QA role, particularly for the industry you're applying to work in.
- Research the company you want to work for.
- Investigate the company's QA process.
- Review your QA achievements in previous roles.
- Practice STAR answers to behavioral and situational questions.
QA Engineer salary in India ranges between ₹ 1.8 Lakhs to ₹ 10.0 Lakhs with an average annual salary of ₹ 4.2 Lakhs.How much do QA testers make per hour in the US? ›
|Annual Salary||Hourly Wage|
Discipline. QA testing can be a very repetitive process, so it's easy to lose focus after analyzing and reporting for long periods of time. Since so much of the job can seem repetitive, QA testers have to possess a sense of discipline to get through the job.What is the salary of QA in India for 1 year experience? ›
Average Annual Salary by Experience
Quality Assurance Engineer salary in India with less than 1 year of experience to 8 years ranges from ₹ 2 Lakhs to ₹ 10.6 Lakhs with an average annual salary of ₹ 4 Lakhs based on 7.2k latest salaries.
Senior Software Tester salary in India with less than 3 year of experience to 9 years ranges from ₹ 3.5 Lakhs to ₹ 13.8 Lakhs with an average annual salary of ₹ 7.0 Lakhs based on 6.4k latest salaries.What is the salary of QA in India for 2 years experience? ›
Software QA Engineer salary in India with less than 1 year of experience to 6 years ranges from ₹ 2.4 Lakhs to ₹ 11.7 Lakhs with an average annual salary of ₹ 5 Lakhs based on 7.3k latest salaries.What is the salary of QA in India for 9 years? ›
Senior QA Engineer salary in India with less than 4 year of experience to 9 years ranges from ₹ 4.0 Lakhs to ₹ 18.1 Lakhs with an average annual salary of ₹ 9.2 Lakhs based on 20.1k latest salaries.