iPhone Shipment and Sales Statistics in 2023
You are here:
- How Many iPhones Have Been…
Did you know that Apple sold over 150 million iPhones in 2022 alone? Apple remains one of the leading smartphone manufacturers globally.
iPhones also account for a significant portion of Apple’s revenue, with the smartphone generating a total of 205,489 billion USD in revenue in 2022.
With the continued success of iPhones in the market due to high sales and loyal iPhone users, it’s interesting to examine Apple’s growth over the years. Read more to learn about the Apple iPhone market share, how many iPhones have been sold in recent years, revenue shares, and many more.
- No. of iPhone users/Total no. of iPhones sold: Apple sales statistics show that the iPhone remains one of the most popular cellphones in the world after 15 years on the market, with over 150 million units sold in 2022 alone (Source:Statista)
- No. of iPhones sold in a year: In the third quarter of 2022, approximately 51.90 million iPhone models were sold, showing a 16.36% increase over the second quarter of 2022. Over 153 million units have already been sold this year as of the third quarter of 2022. (Source:Statista)
- No. of iPhones sold in the beginning (2007/2008): Following the first iPhone release in 2007, iPhone unit sales increased rapidly year after year, reaching a record high of 231 million in 2015. Since then, Apple sales for iPhones have remained fairly stable. (Source:Statista)
- Apple revenue: In the fourth quarter of 2022, Apple generated 42.6 billion USD. It’s a 4.82% increase from the previous quarter. The company’s revenue peaked in the first quarter of 2022 when it earned 71.6 billion USD. (Source:Statista)
- No. of Mac and MacBooks sold in a year: Around 5.8 million Apple Mac units were sold worldwide in the third quarter of 2022, approximately 570,000 fewer than the previous quarter. However, that’s 7.38 billion USD in revenue from Apple Mac sales alone in the third quarter of 2022. (Source:Statista)
- No. of AirPods sold in a year: More than 150 million AirPods have been sold so far, with Apple earning 12.1 billion USD in revenue from AirPods sales alone in 2021. (Source:Headphones Addict)
- iPhone contribution to Apple revenue: iPhone sales totaled 42.63 billion USD in the fourth quarter of 2022, a 4.8% increase over the previous quarter. Apple’s iPhones generated 205,489 billion USD in revenue in 2022. (Source:Statista)
- No. of iPads sold in a year: iPad sales peaked at 26 million units in the fourth quarter of 2013. Apple also sold approximately 14.5 million tablets worldwide in the third quarter of 2022, representing a quarter-on-quarter increase. (Source:Statista)
- Apple shares to the US smartphone sales: iPhone statistics show that Apple is in first place with a 55.45% market share of smartphones in the United States as of September 2022. It indicates that more than half of all units sold in the country are iPhones. (Source:Oberlo)
iPhone Total Sales and Shipped Units Worldwide
After 15 years in the global smartphone market, the iPhone remains one of the most popular cellphones in the world, as over 150 million iPhones have been sold in 2022 alone. iPhone sales increased by 2.13% from the first to third quarters of 2021 to the same quarters of 2022. (Source:Statista)
- According to forecasts from March 26, 2020, sales of tech products were anticipated to decline during the first quarter of 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. However, in 2021, Apple shipped more units internationally than ever before. (Source:Statista)
- Apple’s most popular iPhone device to date is the iPhone 6, while the iPhone X accounted for 35% of global smartphone profits. (Source: Kommando Tech)
- Apple maintains a low switch rate compared to Android due to widely available trade-in programs allowing smartphone users to trade in their old iPhones for new ones. Over 14% of those polled in the United States have switched to the iPhone in the last two years.(Source: Apple Insider)
How Many iPhones are Sold Each Year? (2010-2022)
Number of Phones Sold Annually
|Quarter||iPhone Shipments (in million units)|
In the third quarter of 2022, approximately 51.90 million iPhone units were sold, representing a 16.36% increase over the second quarter of 2022. Apple sold the most units in the last four years in the fourth quarter of 2019, with 73.8 million units sold in that period.
- Apple’s sales figures increased in the fourth quarter of 2021, when it shipped over 84 million units. This is an increase of more than 33 million units over the previous quarter. (Source:Statista)
- Since 2018, Apple’s fourth-quarter sales have been at an all-time high. For example, in the fourth quarter of 2018, around 16.2 million more iPhones have been sold compared to the first quarter. The fourth quarters of 2019, 2020, and 2021 also saw an increase of 37.4 million, 53.4 million, and 28.9 million units over the first quarters. (Source:Statista)
- The majority of active iPhone users are in China, preceded by Apple’s home market, the United States. (Source:MiniCreo)
How Many iPhones are Sold Per Quarter? (2021-2022)
iPhones Sold per Quarter
|Quarter||Shipments (in million units)|
Up to 51.9 million iPhone units were shipped in the third quarter of 2022, showing a 5.97% decrease from the first quarter of 2021. Apple experienced a surge in shipments in the fourth quarter of 2021, shipping more than 84 million units.
- In the previous seven quarters, sales peaked in the fourth quarter of 2021, with more than 84 million units shipped globally. That’s easily 33.7 million more units sold than in the previous quarter. (Source:Statista)
- From the first to third quarters of 2022, the first quarter saw a spike in sales of 56.50 million units, followed by a 21% drop the following quarter. (Source:Statista)
- iPhone users statistics reveal that around 35% of iPhone users also have an Apple Watch. (Source:Demand Sage)
Apple’s Revenue with iPhone in 2022
iPhone’s revenue in the fourth quarter of 2022 reached 42.63 billion USD, a 4.8% increase from the previous quarter. Overall, Apple generated 205,489 billion USD in 2022 for its iPhones. (Source:Statista)
iPhone’s Annual Revenue (2007-2022)
iPhone’s Annual Revenue
|Quarter/Year||Annual Revenue (in Million US Dollars)|
Apple generated 42.6 billion USD in the fourth quarter of 2022, a 4.82% increase over the previous quarter. In the last four quarters, the company’s revenue peaked in the first quarter of 2022, when it earned 71.6 billion USD.
iPhone Percentage of Apple Revenue
The iPhone continues to be Apple’s most successful product in the fourth quarter of 2022, accounting for 47.29% of Apple’s total revenue worldwide. It’s a 3% decrease from the previous quarter, but iPhone sales remain strong, generating nearly half of iPhone revenue in 2022.
iPhone Total Sales and Shipped Units in the US
As of the third quarter of 2022, Apple held a 48% market share of the total sales of smartphone manufacturers. During that time, they were the leading smartphone vendor. However, that market share was down 14% and 4% from the previous two quarters.
How Many iPhones are Sold in the US Each Year? (2015-2021)
Annual iPhone Sales in the United States
|Year||Sales (in millions)|
As of 2021, iPhone sales reached 242 million, a 22.91% increase from the previous year. An upward trend is visible from 2008 to 2021, except in 2009, where there was an 8.39% decrease compared to the following year.
(Source:Business of Apps)
- The release of the Apple iPhone 12 was delayed from September to October due to a global semiconductor shortage. A sudden increase in demand for electronics during the COVID-19 pandemic and the tech war between the US and China caused it. (Source:EarthWeb)
- Since 2007, there has been an Apple iPhone model released every year. (Source:EarthWeb)
- Apple made several strategic moves for its phones to prevent iPhone sales from stagnating, such as the release of the iPhone SE. The phone’s 4-inch screen was intended to boost the iPhone’s market share because Apple discovered that a large number of iPhone users haven’t upgraded to larger iPhone models. The company also discovered that 4-inch phones are top-rated in developing countries. (Source:Lifewire)
iPhone Market Share in the US
As of the second quarter of 2022, Apple has recorded a market share of 48% in the US. It is 4% lower than the previous quarter, but Apple remains ahead of its competitors as the manufacturer with the highest smartphone market share.
Apple sales statistics show that in the past three years, more than half of all smartphones sold in the US are from Apple.
- For 2021, Apple’s market share peaked in the fourth quarter at 56%. It is 19% higher than the previous quarter but only 1.81% higher when the year started. (Source:Statista)
- In 2020, Apple’s market share remained at 46% in the first and second quarters, but its market share increased significantly by the end of the year when the fourth quarter rose to an overall market share of 56%. (Source:Statista)
- Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak co-founded Apple in 1976, and it currently has the highest market capitalization in the world at 2.533 trillion USD. (Source:Zippia)
Cell phone industry expert, blogger & owner of BankMyCell.com - we aim to deliver helpful cell phone advice as well as money saving and how-to guides. Brands, journalists and bloggers, feel free to hit me and the team up for any marketing opportunities.
The Apple iPhone is one of the biggest success stories in the smartphone industry. Since its introduction to the market in 2007, Apple has sold more than 1.5 billion units worldwide. As of the fourth quarter of 2022, the Apple iPhone's market share of new smartphone sales was 24 percent.How many iPhones were sold in 2013? ›
Apple Sold 33.8 Million iPhones, 14.1 Million iPads, And 4.6 Million Macs In Q4 2013.What was the current iPhone in 2010? ›
The iPhone 4, launched in 2010, introduced yet another redesign, this time with a glass body. It's the first time Apple included its sharp “Retina Display” and support for FaceTime.What was Apple's market share in 2010? ›
Apple iPhone 13 model is the best-selling smartphone for the Q4 of 2022. Apple's iPhone 13 was launched back in September 2021. In a rare feat, Apple has topped the list of best-selling smartphones in India.How many iPhones have been sold since 2008? ›
iPhone Key Stats
Since its initial launch, more than 1.9 billion iPhones have been sold.
Apple sold 10 million iPhones in 2008.How many iPhones 12 have been sold? ›
The latest iPhone 12 series carries forward this legacy. The iPhone 12 series' cumulative global sales crossed the 100 million units mark in April 2021, according to Counterpoint Research's mobile handset Market Pulse Service.How many old iPhones are still in use? ›
Celebrating 10 Years of iPhones: 63% of all iPhones Ever Sold Are Still in Use – 728 million.What is the oldest Apple iPhone sold? ›
What's the oldest iPhone that still works in 2022? The oldest devices to be supported by iOS 15 are the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus.
In 2022, about 1.35 billion mobile phones were sold, with Apple dominating yearly sales at over 253 million units sold, taking up 24/8% market share. Combined, all mobile phones have shipped over 19 billion units worldwide between 1994 and 2018.How many iPhones get sold everyday? ›
So many that quite a few people have said that they just can't get their heads around it. Let's break it down. That means that for the 91 days that spanned the quarter Apple sold 849,450 iPhones a day, or 35,393 every hour, or 590 every minute.How many iPhone 4 were sold in 2010? ›
Cumulative Worldwide iPhone Sales, All Time.
|Oct. 2010||59.7 million|
|June 24, 2010||iPhone 4 released|
|April 2010||50 million|
|Jan. 2010||42.4 million|
There are plenty of people out there who are still using an iPhone 4. So if you're wondering if you can still use this smartphone in general, the answer is a definite yes.Did iPhone 4 have FaceTime? ›
Facetime is an iPhone app allowing users to make video calls to other iPhone users. The app is only available for use on Apple devices, and is included with the pre-set apps on iPhones. The first version of FaceTime was included in the iPhone 4.What Apple products were in 2010? ›
MARKHAM, ON—January 27, 2010—Apple® today introduced iPad, a revolutionary device for browsing the web, reading and sending email, enjoying photos, watching videos, listening to music, playing games, reading e-books and much more.Who did Apple surpass in 2010? ›
The moment came Wednesday when Apple, the maker of iPods, iPhones and iPads, shot past Microsoft, the computer software giant, to become the world's most valuable technology company.How many smartphone users in 2010? ›
|Characteristic||Sales in million units|
63.2 million people in the U.S. owned smartphones during the three months ending in December 2010, up 60 percent versus year ago. RIM led the ranking with 31.6 percent market share of smartphones, while Google Android maintained the #2 position with 28.7 percent, up 7.3 percentage points versus September.Which is the No 1 phone in world? ›
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4
On August 10, 2022, the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 was officially launched worldwide. It also immediately became the best foldable or dual-display smartphone in the world.
The iPhone 12 mini is Apple's least popular iPhone, new data shows. The iPhone 12 mini has flopped. So much so that Apple is planning to kill off the model entirely come 2022 and replace it with an affordable 6.7-inch device that'll spiritually succeed the iPhone 8 Plus.What is the most popular iPhone color? ›
iPhone 14 Pro/Pro Max owners were the most likely to go for color with 42% opting for the unique Deep Purple and 24% going for gold. That's 2/3rds of 14 Pro customers going for the more vibrant finishes.What percentage of Americans own an iPhone? ›
|Characteristic||Share of smartphone users|
According to the data, carrier stores, both physical and online, account for the majority of iPhone sales in the United States. Apple Stores are the second most common place people buy iPhones, while third-party retailer Best Buy makes up an even smaller percentage of sales.Is iPhone sales going down? ›
Apple sales dropped at the end of 2022 as shoppers squeezed by the rising cost of living cut back their purchases. Sales at the iPhone giant fell 5% in the three months to December compared with the same period in 2021. It was the biggest decline since 2019 and worse than expected.How many iPhone 7 has been sold? ›
Of that 353.3 million, 21.5 million were the iPhone 7, with 17.4 million the iPhone 7 Plus. Given those figures, the iPhone 7 claimed 6.1 percent of global smartphone sales, with the iPhone 7 Plus taking 4.9 percent.Who bought the first iPhone? ›
June 29, 2007, the day the original iPhone went on sale, was a big day for Web developer Honey Berk. She got the Apple smartphone and a fiancé.How many iPhone 11s have been sold? ›
|iPhone 11 in White|
|First released||September 20, 2019|
|iPhone 6 Plus in Space Gray|
|Units sold||4 million+ on first day; 13 million in opening weekend; 220 million+ total|
|Predecessor||iPhone 5S iPhone 5C|
|Successor||iPhone 6S / iPhone 6S Plus|
|Type||6: Smartphone 6 Plus: Phablet|
The iPhone 14 was made available on September 16, 2022, and iPhone 14 Plus was made available on October 7, 2022, priced at $799 and $899 respectively, and was launched with iOS 16. Pre-orders for the iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Plus began on September 9, 2022.
Apple culls iPhone's older models from its list every year after new OS update. Notably, every year, the company kills older iPhone models from its list of handsets that are not compatible with newer versions of iOS.Is iPhone 8 end of life? ›
They are the eleventh generation of the iPhone. The iPhone 8 was released on September 22, 2017, succeeding the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus respectively and preceding the iPhone XR. The iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus were discontinued by Apple on April 15, 2020 with the release of the second-generation iPhone SE. Apple Inc.Is iPhone 14 worth it? ›
The bottom line: If you have an iPhone XS, XS Max or XR, it's definitely worth upgrading. You get a noticeable boost in camera quality, battery life and performance among other areas.Which iPhone is getting discontinued? ›
The Cupertino-based company is no longer selling iPhone 13 Pro, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPhone 12 mini and iPhone 11. All these iPhones have been delisted from the official Apple website. The move was more or less expected as Apple tends to discontinue its older iPhone models with the launch of new ones.Will iPhone 13 be discontinued? ›
Last year in 2021, several Apple products such as iPhone 12 Pro, 12 Pro Max, HomePod, iMac Pro, and iPhone XR, among many, were discontinued. This year, several predictions hint that Apple may axe its iPhone 13 Pro and 13 Pro Max, which will be superseded by the new iPhone in September 2022.Is iPhone 7 still supported? ›
Mainstream software support for the iPhone 7 was dropped when iOS 16 was released. But, it still receives iOS 15 security updates (as of October 31, 2022). The last version of iOS to support iPhone 7 is iOS 15.7.What sells more iPhone or Android? ›
As of April 2022, iPhones made up nearly 58% of U.S. smartphones, compared with 42% for Android devices. However, Android dominates the worldwide market, with almost 72% of the global market share, compared with iOS' 28%.What phone sells the most? ›
Not only is it the manufacturer with the largest smartphone market share worldwide, latest numbers also show that South Korean phone maker Samsung topped the list of the most popular phone brands in Q3 2022 in terms of smartphone shipments.What sells more iPhone or Samsung? ›
Even though Apple's smartphone market share is currently nearly two times that of Samsung's, its lead over the South Korean manufacturer has actually been shrinking over the past decade or so.
Digital design guru Luke Wroblewski first noted on Twitter that Apple has been more productive than humanity has been reproductive in recent months. There are more iPhones sold per day (402k) than people born in the World per day (300k).
Apple sells nearly 400 iPhones per minute, and other insane stats.How much does it cost to make an iPhone? ›
According to Counterpoint Research's bill of materials (BoM) analysis of the iPhone 14 Pro Max with 128GB, the cost is about $464. That model retails for $1,099. The analysis only captures the cost of components, not the cost of production, distribution, and so on.How many iPhones were sold in 2010? ›
|Characteristic||Unit sales in millions|
About 1.6 billion mobile phones of all types, including smartphones, were sold in 2010, Gartner added. In the larger mobile phone market, Nokia led the way globally by selling 461 million and holding 28.9 % of the market.How many iPhones have been sold since 2010? ›
iPhone Users Statistics.
|Year||No. of iPhone users|
Apple sold 10 million iPhones in 2008.How much did an iPhone cost in 2010? ›
The redesigned iPhone 4 arrived on June 7, 2010 in tandem with the newly-renamed iOS 4, and marked the arrival of FaceTime video chat. Prices remained unchanged: $199 for a 16GB model and $299 for the 32GB version.How much did Apple make in 2010? ›
Compare AAPL With Other Stocks.
|Apple Annual Revenue (Millions of US $)|
|First released||June 29, 2007|
|Discontinued||July 15, 2008|
|Units sold||6.1 million|
The Apple iPhone was launched at a price of USD 599 (about Rs 49,719) in 2007.
The device originally retailed for $599 in 2007 — or $852 in 2022 after inflation — and quickly saw its price climb from the opening bid of $2,500 to well into five figures.How many iPhone 1 have been sold? ›
Although it's been 15 years since the iPhone hit the market, it remains one of the most-sold mobile devices in the world, with 153 million iPhone units shipped in the first three quarters of 2022 alone. It is estimated that more than 2.24 billion iPhones have been sold to date.How many iPads sold 2010? ›
This forecast shows sales numbers of tablets and iPads in the U.S. from 2010 to 2012. In 2010, 9,7 million tablets were sold in the U.S., including 8,8 million iPads. Apple's success with the iPad brought the tablet industry back to life.What did Apple sell in 2010? ›
In the 2010 fiscal year, Apple sold 40 million phones, a 93 percent jump over 2009. During September, the company says it passed the 125 million mark for cumulative iOS sales of its iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch offerings. Not all of Apple's product lines are growing.What was Apple's most profitable year? ›
Apple's net income 2005-2022
Apple reported net income of 99.8 billion U.S. dollars in its 2022 fiscal year, the highest net income to date.